UGC creators have become an essential part of the digital marketing landscape, and for a good reason: the presence of UGC increases web conversions by 29% for campaigns and websites.
More and more individuals are trying their hand at UGC creation these days, which creates an amazing, diverse online community of hustlers.
Here’s the thing, though: being a UGC creator can be a fun and rewarding experience, but it also requires a certain set of skills. If you want to stand out from the crowd, you need to be at the top of your game.
And we’re going to help you!
Here are UGC SHOP’s 10 commandments for UGC creators ;)
1. Draw from your creativity
The most important skill for any UGC creator is creativity.
A good creator has to come up with unique and interesting ideas for content and think outside the box to be engaging to audiences.
Here are some ways to spice up your UGC videos in a creative way:
- Make them funny → if it requires you to use a couple of props or exaggerate facial expressions, it’s a good sign! See the video below for an example.
- Learn some new transitions → we’ve all been obsessed with flawless TikTok transitions at some point.
- Film in a unique setting → if you have a pergola in your garden, why not try your makeup routine outside?
Watch an example of a creative video that took the creator some extra effort. Spoiler: our client really liked it!
2. Hone your communication skills
As a UGC creator, you need top-notch communication skills.
First of all, your videos need to be clear for your audience! Make sure all your words can be heard, your script makes sense, and you use an engaging tone.
Then, depending on what projects you work on, you might need to be able to respond to comments, messages, and questions in a timely and professional manner. This can happen when you run Spark Ads.
However, communication isn’t only about creator-audience relationship, it’s also about creator-brand or creator-agency relationship!
When creators are struggling to understand the project’s brief, we’re more than happy to get on a quick call with them. Sometimes it’s all about clearing up tiny details, and it doesn’t take too much effort to do so!
Quick responses are a must! It’s fair for everyone to be on top of what is going on at every stage of the project.
Here are some important things you need to be always in touch about:
- Content - anything unclear? Just reach for a helping hand! Everyone wants the content to be perfect, you’ll definitely get help.
- Punctuality - submit your work on time! And if for some reason you can’t, let the brand/agency know with some notice. It’s always better than receiving a thread of emails chasing after the content!
- Payment - make sure you email if you have not received payment!
3. Learn to do some basic editing
All UGC creators need to have a basic understanding of technology and how to use various tools and software to create content.
Now, we hear your big question: do you need specific technical tools to be a UGC creator?
The answer is no!
If having a professional camera and editing on Adobe Premiere is what floats your boat, then who are we to tell you not to use those. But the truth is, you only need a phone and a mobile editing app to get started.
Having some technical skills is the basis to creating high-quality content that is visually appealing and engaging, you don’t need a whole movie-set equipment kit.
In our UGC Creator Masterguide, we advise creators to use these apps for editing their videos:
4. Work on your time management abilities
If UGC creation isn’t your main source of income, you need to balance it with your main job. And you also probably need to fit family time, social life, hobbies, school, or more in your schedule.
This is why you need to be able to prioritize tasks and manage time efficiently.
Here are some examples of when you need to think in time management:
- Content production → don’t wait for days after you’ve received products to start shooting. The sooner, the better!
- Lighting use → if you need to shoot content in daylight (always preferred), reserve some time in your day schedule for filming.
- Revisions submission → if you get feedback on content you have submitted, plan to send your revisions within three days, depending on how much there is to change.
5. Embrace adaptability and be flexible
The internet evolves at a quick speed, and you need to be on top of changes.
Whether it’s regarding trends, popular sounds, or content type, you need to make sure you always produce content with the highest chances of being noticed by modern audiences.
Keep an eye out on TikTok and Instagram, and do some competitor research when you’re working on a new project!
We love checking out the TikTok Creative Center! It’s a great place to find out what’s trending on TikTok, including hashtags, sounds, and even what content is performing best depending on its niche.
It’s a creator’s best friend!
6. Pay extra attention to detail
Attention to detail is what makes the difference between a UGC video and a great UGC video.
Brands and agencies are more likely to want to work with creators who create great content right off the bat and that don’t require a back-and-forth revision email thread!
Here are some examples of details:
- Sound → if you’re adding sound to your videos, make sure your voice can still be heard loud and clear.
- Typos → grammar, capitalisation, misspelled homophones… All of these are easy fixes if you do a second revision round when including text on your videos.
- Brand name → is the brand name visible? Have you included it correctly? Have you pronounced it correctly?
- Fingerprints or marks → if you’re promoting products, make sure there aren’t any smudges/spots that might make them look dirty.
- Setting → unless requested otherwise by the brand, prioritize clean backgrounds and organized settings.
- Facts → if you want to use a statistic to start off your video with a good hook, make sure you double-check the numbers and get them from a trusted source.
Read our guide on what makes a successfully converting UGC video to get more pointers on this specific skillset.
7. Perfect your storytelling
Did you know that some studies have shown storytelling in advertising increases conversions by 30%? (Source: MarketingWords)
As a UGC creator, you definitely need strong storytelling skills. Your mission is to convince an audience that the brand you are advertising is what they need.
By making your message into a story, you will awaken an emotional connection with your audience and help them relate to you more! So when you tell them how the brand has made your life better, they will be more inclined to try it too!
8. Develop branding skills
Successful content creators need some serious branding skills.
If you want to build an image for yourself that brands and agencies will like and trust, you need to work on your portfolio, social media, and even email signature! Make sure you’re memorable to any manager that comes across your profile.
Have something consistent in your image that acts as a reminder that you are who you are. This could be an original username, an accessory you wear, or a specific style you have of recording your videos.
9. Focus on collaboration and teamwork
UGC creators need to be able to work well with others. That includes other creators, brands, agencies, and perhaps more to create content that suits everyone’s needs.
Being able to work smoothly with others is a key point of a solid UGC career.
10. Keep your head up
Lastly, UGC creators need to be persistent. Building a following, creating high-quality content, building lasting relationships with brands or agencies… It all takes time and effort.
However, if you stick to it and commit to your development as a creator, you’re bound to do great!
Here are some important tips to keep in mind:
- It’s okay if you weren’t chosen for a project. You will get onto another one!
- It’s fine if a brand rejects your content. Take notes from what went wrong, and you will do better next time!
- Growing an organic audience on social media takes time. Instead of aiming to gain 100k followers overnight, build a strong relationship with the followers you already have.
It’s all about getting up every time you fall!
Need some help?
If you feel like you need to improve in any of these areas, we’re here to help!
At UGC SHOP, we run content workshops for creators and provide in-house training to make sure you have all the tools to become a successful UGC creator.
If you want to join our exclusive community and receive all our tips + casting info with priority, sign up as a creator in our system, then apply to become a member of our private Facebook group.
You can also follow us on Instagram and shoot any questions our way! Slide in the DMs ;)
Leave a comment