Ready to create amazing content?
We have a post to get you started with UGC, which you can read here, but if you’re looking to up your game when it comes to producing video content, this is the right post for you!
1. Read the brief carefully
Reading the brand brief thoroughly is the first important step to creating a successful UGC video. Here are the most important points you need to pay attention to when reading a brand brief for a project:
- Brand and product name → Get them right! It’s easy to forget a letter or mispronounce.
- Product link → This is especially important if the product page displays a deal!
- Video specifics → Do you need to add royalty-free music or text? What should be the video’s size and resolution?
- Do’s and dont’s → Does the brand provide you with scripts? Are there any specific words you should or should not include? Is there any style the brand doesn’t like when it comes to filming or editing?
- Hooks and CTAs → If the brand provides them, make sure you get them right in your videos! Generating leads (e.g. videos to a website) is different than generating purchases or app downloads.
2. Make sure you start with a hook
What will make your video stand out from the rest of content that is competing with it on the Internet? A great attention-grabber.
We can’t stress this enough!
Sometimes the brand won’t provide you with scripts or hooks, so it’s up to you to come up with an efficient introduction. Read our piece on hooks and learn how to kick your videos off to convert.
3. Add value as a creator
Not all UGC creators have the same experience and perspective, both when it comes to products they review and the content production itself.
Use this to your advantage!
a. Adapt the video to your style
What makes you stand out from other creators that fit your brand’s audience?
Let’s think about how you could personalize a skincare video according to what sets you apart as a creator:
- If you have a soothing voice, create a voiceover video.
- Include closeups if you have exceptionally smooth skin.
- Do a Get Ready With Me if you are a business owner.
- Show off your ASMR skills if you have a good microphone.
- Good at editing? Include a few creative transitions.
These are only basic examples. You’re the one that knows what your strengths are.
b. Add a full story or keypoints
According to a study published by the Harvard University Press, facts are around 22 times more likely to be remembered if they are part of a story.
If you want to make your videos powerful, sneak in one or two lines about a story that connects you to the brand or the product.
c. Bonus point for extra relatable content
Make sure to mention something that helps your audience relate to you or the product.
4. Always end the video with a CTA
In the first section, we’ve gone over how it’s important to include the appropriate CTA that fits the brand’s campaign.
Regardless of whether or not you are provided with a CTA, make sure it’s got:
- A clear message
- Supporting text (if the brand didn’t explicitly ask for no text)
- A link to the brand campaign
Here are a few important quality checks for your videos:
- Lighting → Natural lighting over anything else!
- Resolution → Avoiding zooming in too much, and use your back camera instead of the selfie one.
- Royalty-free music → To avoid chances of videos being taken down, use music that doesn’t carry royalty right.
- Readable text → Make sure your text is big enough to be read, but not too big that it will hide important information (such as the brand logo). Also make sure it’s ideally placed for the platform it will be posted on.
6. Double check
And last but not least: double-check! Read the brand brief one more time before submitting your work to make sure you’ve included everything the brand wanted you to!
If you haven’t yet, sign up to become part of our community. We will contact you as soon as we get a project that matches your profile. You don’t need to make any effort to find the perfect brand to work with, we bring it to you!
You can also join our Facebook Creator Community where we post opportunities and exclusive content to help you become an expert at UGC.
Go out there and create amazing content!